In my search for a fun (but easy) St. Patrick’s Day craft idea, I came across this St. Patrick’s Day Pom Pom Vase and for the life of me, I simply can not remember where. I’m nearly positive it was an online craft store, but I’ve searched the big four over and over, and can’t find it again. Sigh.
So if you figure it out, let me know because I’d like to credit them for the inspiration. I did a few things my own way, but still… I was inspired by something… somewhere.
And, isn’t it cute?
St. Patrick’s Day Craft – Pom Pom Flower Vase
What You’ll Need:
Acrylic paint (Irish moss)
1″ foam brushes
6 or 7 (1/4″-diam) wooden dowels
16 oz mason jar with smooth sides (like this)
ModPodge matte formula
Tissue paper in various shades of green
Clover tissue paper confetti
Large Clover pom pom maker
Yarn in 2 or 3 colors (I used dark green, light green and white)
Hot glue and glue gun
- Using a foam brush, paint the wooden dowels. Easy!
Tip: Poke some holes in an overturned box and pop the dowels in the box holes to dry. Once they’re dry, cut them to varying lengths according to how high you want your “flowers” to stand in the vase.
2. Working in a small area of the mason jar at a time, brush on a layer of Mod Podge and then apply pieces of tissue paper. Overlapping and irregularity is a good thing, so have fun! Smooth Mod Podge over the tissue paper sections as you work. Just be sure you cover the entire jar. Tip: Hold it up to the light, and you’ll be able to see if you missed any spots.
3. Once you’ve covered the jar with tissue paper, add some confetti clovers randomly around the jar.
4. While your jar is drying, make pom poms with the pom pom maker using the different colors of yarn. Vary the sizes and colors however you’d like.
5. Now push a dowel into each of the pom poms. To hold the pom poms on securely, you can hot glue them to the dowels.
6. Now all that’s left is to pop your stemmed flowers into the jar, and tie your ribbon in a pretty bow around the neck of the vase.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!