If you’ve been craving something a little different, these strawberry grilled cheese paninis will hit the spot.
I’m a huge fan of gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches! When I saw an un-grilled strawberry sandwich in one of my old magazines the other day, I knew it would translate to a panini beautifully.
Ingredients – What You’ll Need
- Fresh strawberries – frozen strawberries will be too wet and smooshy
- Thinly sliced turkey – I love using pepper turkey
- Spreadable cream cheese
- Finely chopped pecans
- Swiss cheese slices – (see below for other options)
- Artisan bread – choose your fave deli bread
- Cooked bacon strips
Substitutions and Additions
- Instead of cream cheese, you could use mascarpone or ricotta.
- Instead of Swiss, use Brie, mozzarella, cheddar, Provolone, Monterey Jack or goat cheese.
- If you don’t have fresh strawberries, you could use a bit of strawberry jam or preserves.
- I like using thick-cut deli bread for paninis but if you only have tender sandwich bread, you can use it. You just might want to use a griddle rather than a press.
How to Make Strawberry Grilled Cheese Paninis
STEP 1: In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and pecans. Spread on one slice of the bread.
STEP 2: Top with Swiss cheese, pepper turkey, strawberries, bacon and the other slice of bread.
STEP 3: Cook in a panini press for about 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melty.
Cut in half for easier eating. The sweet and savory combo works beautifully so make enough for the whole family.
Strawberry Grilled Cheese Paninis
- ½ tablespoon spreadable cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped pecans
- 2 slices thick deli bread
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 oz pepper turkey shaved or thinly sliced
- 2 fresh strawberries sliced
- 2 slices bacon, crisp
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and pecans. Spread on a slice of deli bread.
- Top with cheese, turkey, strawberries, bacon and the other slice of bread. Cook in panini press for 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melty and bread is golden brown. (Can also be cooked on a griddle.)