This black cherry dump cake with rhubarb is delectable!
The appeal of a dump cake recipe is in its simplicity and the flavor combinations are practically endless. This strawberry rhubarb dump cake has long been my favorite and inspired me to make this rhubarb and black cherry dump cake.
Ingredients – What You’ll Need
- rhubarb – fresh is always best, but frozen will work too
- granulated sugar
- black cherry Jell-O
- boxed yellow cake mix
- melted butter – unsalted
Additions and Substitutions
- Use cherry Jell-O in place of black cherry
- Use white cake mix instead of yellow
How to Make Black Cherry Dump Cake with Rhubarb
Step 1: Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Spread rhubarb evenly over the bottom of the pan. Pour black cherry Jell-O over the rhubarb pieces.
Step 2: Sprinkle cake mix evenly over the Jell-O and rhubarb, then pour on melted butter and water, trying to moisten as much of the cake mix as possible. (But don’t fret if you don’t. It will still be fabulous.)
Step 3: Bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
Cut into even servings (or be willy nilly about it.)
This rhubarb and black cherry dump cake is scrumptious with whipped topping or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Absolutely. Black cherry flavor tends to be a bit sweeter than cherry and makes a great counterpoint to rhubarb but since Jell-O is sweetened anyhow, it would still work.
I love it fresh from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream but honestly, it’s delicious at any temperature. (You can also warm it later in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.)
Nothing beats a scoop of vanilla ice cream but a dollop of whipped topping ain’t bad either!
When completely cool, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Other Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
- Cookies and Cream Dessert Nachos
- Ben & Jerry’s Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Maple Cake with Maple Glaze
- Blackberry Dumplings
Black Cherry Dump Cake with Rhubarb
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 3 oz pkg black cherry jello
- 1 18.25 oz pkg. yellow cake mix
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread rhubarb pieces across bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Pour Jell-O over rhubarb. Dump dry cake mix over top of Jell-O and rhubarb. Pour melted butter and water over top.
- Bake abour 45 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Delicious served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.