This cheesy chicken corn casserole is one of those easy dinner recipes you can throw together and pop in the oven in minutes and have it on the table in less than an hour.
And since it’s a casserole, it’s got all the comfort you can handle.
Ingredients for chicken and corn casserole
- chopped chicken
- black beans
- condensed cheddar cheese soup
- frozen whole kernel corn
- chopped green chiles
- French Fried onions
- red pepper flakes
How to make this easy casserole
It’s literally as simple as mixing all the ingredients together in a casserole dish.
Ok, I lied. You do need to reserve some of those delicious French fried onions for later, but other than that, everything goes in!
Is it a spicy casserole recipe?
That’s entirely up to you. The beauty of casseroles is that they’re so easy to customize to personal taste. If your family doesn’t like much heat, go with just a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper for a subtle kick of flavor. If you love spice, go heavy-handed with the red pepper flakes.
Obviously, you can see from the photo that my family loves it spicy!
Bake the casserole in the oven for about 45 minutes then top with the reserved fried onions and bake for a few more minutes until the onions turn golden brown.
Then have at it!
The creamy cheese sauce and crunch of the French fried onions makes me happy.
It’s SO good.
More chicken recipes you may enjoy:
Originally published November 26, 2013, without chicken or black beans. It’s perfect as a vegetarian side dish that way but when you add the chicken and the black beans for a boost of protein, it becomes a hearty main course.
Feel free to make it either way!
Cheesy Chicken Corn Casserole
- 1 10- oz can premium white chunk chicken breast
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 10 3/4 oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 16 oz pkg frozen whole kernel corn thawed
- 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles
- 1 2.8 oz can French Fried onions divided about 1 1/3 cups
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes Adjust for more or less heat
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Stir all ingredients except fried onions to a casserole dish. Stir in 2/3 cup of the onions.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the corn mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir and sprinkle the remaining fried onions on top. Bake for 5 minutes uncovered or until the onions are golden brown.