I love serving this Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole for weeknight dinners. It takes the classic comfort combo of chicken and rice and brings in a little TexMex flair.
It’s full of flavor and everything delicious, and you can have it on the table in less than an hour.
Easy casserole recipes win every time!
Tex Mex casserole ingredients
Exact measurements included in the recipe card below.
- butter or olive oil
- chicken-flavored rice vermicelli mix
- long-grain rice
- chicken broth
- chopped chicken
- green chiles
- chili powder
- black pepper
- shredded Mexican cheese
How to make Tex Mex chicken and rice casserole
This casserole starts by simmering on the stovetop with an old fan favorite — rice vermicelli mix. (You probably know it best as Rice-A-Roni.) That’s a blast from the past, isn’t it? My mom used to cook it as a complete meal!
I just use it as a jumping-off point for this TexMex chicken and rice casserole, but thanks, mom for introducing me to it, because I’m finding it works as a cool ingredient in meals.
Add some tomatoes, chili peppers, spices, chicken and melted cheese, and you’ve got the makings for what could become one of your favorite casserole recipes. It’s delicious!
If this TexMex chicken and rice casserole recipe sounds good, try some of my other simple casserole recipes too!
- Mock chow mein casserole
- Cheesy chicken noodle casserole
- Deluxe pizza spaghetti
- Broccoli cheese casserole
- Easy chili mac
- French onion ground beef casserole
- Turkey and sweet potato french fry casserole
- Cheesy beef and wild rice casserole
Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 6.6 oz-pkg chicken-flavored rice vermicelli mix
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 14-oz cans chicken broth
- 2 ½ cups water
- 4 cups chopped chicken or turkey
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- 1 4-oz can diced green chili peppers drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (can use 2 T fresh basil instead)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In 3-qt saucepan, cook onion in butter or oil until tender. Stir in rice-vermicelli mix with seasoning packet and uncooked rice. Cook and stir for another 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to boil. Reduce temperature; cover and simmer 20 minutes. (Liquid won't be fully absorbed.)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl. Add chicken or turkey, tomato, chili peppers, basil, chili powder, and pepper. Transfer to 3 qt casserole dish.
- Bake, covered for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 5 mintues or until cheese melts.