This cheesy stuffed pepper casserole is absolutely delicious!
It has all the goodness of traditional stuffed peppers but in an undone stuffed pepper casserole kind of way.
Ingredients for inside out stuffed pepper casserole
- bell peppers in assorted colors
- ground beef
- diced tomatoes with habaneros (or a milder version, if you prefer)
- enchilada sauce
- taco seasoning mix
- instant rice
- diced onion
- Mexican cheese
- chili beans
- taco sauce
- fresh cilantro
- jalapenos (optional)
How to make cheesy stuffed pepper casserole
Start out by cutting the tops off of the peppers and removing the seeds, but save the tops!
Add peppers and tops to boiling water and let boil for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and run under cold water until cooled. Set aside.
In a bowl, mix ground beef, taco seasoning mix, rice, eggs, onion, tomatoes, and enchilada sauce. Combine thoroughly.
In a separate bowl, combine chili beans and one cup of cheese.
Cut cooled peppers into sections so they’ll lay relatively flat. In lasagna-like fashion, layer the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with one-third of the peppers.
If you like it spicy, throw on some sliced jalapenos too. Totally optional!
Top with the meat mixture and spread evenly.
Add half of the bean and cheese mixture.
Repeat layers, then top with the final third of the bell pepper pieces. Pour taco sauce over the top.
Cover loosely with foil, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/4 hours. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes, adding cheese in the final 5 minutes or so.
Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
This undone stuffed pepper casserole is loaded with layers of stuffed bell pepper casserole goodness and it bursts with south-of-the-border flavor!
You’ll love this undone stuffed pepper casserole. Guaranteed!
Other recipes you’ll love
Cheesy Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 6 bell peppers assorted colors
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups instant rice
- 1 diced tomatoes with habaneros
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese divided
- 1 15 oz can chili beans
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup taco sauce
- Cut tops off peppers and discard stems and seeds. Cut peppers into sections. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add peppers. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and run under cold water until cooled. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix ground beef, taco seasoning mix, rice, eggs, onion, tomatoes, and enchilada sauce. Combine thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine chili beans and one cup of the cheese.
- Cut cooled peppers into squares so they will lay flat. In lasagna-like fashion. Layer the bottom of a 13"x9" casserole dish with 1/3 of the peppers. Top with the meat mixture and spread evenly.
- Add another layer of peppers and then the bean mixture.
- Use remaining 1/3 of peppers on top. Cover with taco sauce.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes, sprinkling on remaining cheese in the last 5 minutes or so. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.