This delicious zucchini quiche with ground beef is filled with a flavorful beef zucchini mixture, cheese, herbs and spices. It’s beyond scrumptious!
Use a store-bought pie crust for a shortcut or if you’re ambitious, you can make your own. I find ready-made crusts to be perfectly adequate. It’s the filling that’s the shining star, believe me.
Ingredients for zucchini quiche with ground beef
- unbaked deep pie crust shell
- lean ground beef
- green onions
- shredded Swiss cheese
- fresh thyme
- black pepper
- red pepper
How to make a ground beef zucchini quiche
Line the deep dish pie shell with a sheet of tin foil and some pie weights, dried rice or dried beans and blind-bake it for about 8 minutes. This helps prevent a soggy crust.
I usually use my pie weights but I couldn’t find them today so I used rice. Pie weights are so much easier and less messy though.
Brown the ground beef and drain off the extra grease.
Meanwhile, chop the zucchini, green onions and mushrooms. I like using a mini food processor to chop the zucchini. I cut the zucchini into slices and let the food processor do the rest.
How do I remove excess moisture from zucchini?
Muscle power. Zucchini is full of water and you have to work pretty hard to squeeze it all out.
My go-to method is to put the chopped zucchini inside a clean tea towel and then just wring it out over a bowl as hard as I possibly can. The amount of water in zucchini is ridiculous!
Then add the chopped and squeeze-dried zucchini and green onions to the cooked ground beef. Cook until the veggies are tender. Add the flour and cook another couple minutes.
Place the meat mixture in the blind-baked pie crust.
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cheese and seasonings, then pour that into the crust with the meat. (See below tip for filling a quiche.) And bake!
What’s the best way to fill a quiche without spilling?
This method is pretty fool-proof. Preheat your oven and then place the quiche crust on the oven rack. Pour the filling into the crust while it’s on the oven rack, using a spatula to press down the ingredients and disperse the liquid as needed. No more carrying a full quiche over to the oven and spilling!
How do I tell when quiche is done?
Quiche should be baked until the edges are set but the center still has some jiggle.
How long should quiche cool before cutting?
Cool the zucchini quiche with ground beef for about 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving. I personally like quiche when it’s hot but it can also be eaten at room temperature or even chilled.
My favorite part of this quiche is the fresh thyme. It’s fabulous!
Zucchini Quiche with Ground Beef
- 1 9-inch unbaked deep crust pie shell
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium zucchini shredded
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- dash ground red pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line pie shell with foil; fill with pie weights (or dried beans or rice). Bake 8 minutes. Remove from oven; carefully remove foil and pie weights and return to oven to bake 4 more minutes. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Brown ground beef in large skillet; drain off extra grease. Add zucchini, onions and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally until veggies are tender. Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, cheese and seasonings. Stir into ground beef mixture; pour into crust. Bake 35 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Leave a Reply