Banana cookies taste just like homemade banana bread. They’re soft and moist like quick bread is, but the banana flavor is inside a bite-sized (well, maybe two or three bites) drop cookie.
Banana Cookie Ingredients
- Mashed banana – When bananas are brown and smooshy, that’s when they’re at their sweetest, so don’t throw them away. Peel them and freeze them in freezer bags for smoothies, cookies or bread.
- Butter or shortening
- Granulated sugar
- Banana extract – for a little banana flavor oomph.
- Flour – all-purpose
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cloves
Reminder: Remember to check the expiration dates of your baking powder and baking soda periodically. It might seem like you bought it a few months ago but when you look, it may be expired. (Spoken from personal experience lol)
Easy Banana Cookie Making Directions
Cream together the butter and sugar in a mixer, then add the eggs, mashed banana and banana extract.
Use a cookie scoop to drop evenly sized scoops onto greased baking sheet and bake.
Cookies will be lightly set and turning brown on the edges when done. They’ll slide off the cookie sheet easily with a small spatula.
Place them on a cooling rack to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Banana Cookie Variations
Try adding chocolate chips, dried cranberries, dried cherries, grated orange or lemon peel, walnuts or pecans.
Drizzle a sweet glaze over the top of the cookies: maple, brown butter, vanilla or even peanut butter. For a shortcut, you could even pipe on store-bought frosting.
Other Yummy Homemade Cookie Recipes to Try
Pin this cookie recipe to Pinterest!
Banana Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup mashed banana
- ½ cup shortening or butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together shortening and sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, flavoring and bananas. Add flour and spices; mix well.
- Drop on greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake about 10 minutes or just until set and edges are starting to turn golden brown.