You’ll love this 5-star chocolate chip cookies recipe!
Made with chunks of rich and delectable bittersweet chocolate, these soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies are classic yumminess.
We can all thank Gemma Stafford for including this recipe in her first cookbook: BIGGER BOLDER BAKING: A Fearless Approach to Baking Anytime, Anywhere. I had the chance to preview the cookbook with over 115 mouthwatering recipes that transform baking from a weekend indulgence to a daily treat.
Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking online cooking show is wildly popular, no doubt because she takes the fear out of baking with her practical tips and recipes using simple kitchen tools and less than 10 ingredients.
The 5-star chocolate chip cookies are made with just eight ingredients.
INGREDIENTS FOR 5-STAR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Dark brown sugar
Bittersweet chocolate (not just any chocolate… use the good stuff)
Gemma recommends using a good quality bittersweet chocolate and I definitely agree with her. It’s the quality chocolate that makes these 5-star chocolate chip cookies, so look for 63 to 72% cacao.
And skip the chips… the big chunks of chocolate are everything!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and softened butter with a wooden spoon.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
Then fold in those glorious chocolate pieces!
Chill the dough for 30 minutes, then scoop big tablespoons of dough and roll each into balls. (I use this cookie scoop to make sure they’re all the same size and will cook evenly.)
Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes.
To make sure the cookies stay soft, don’t overbake them. Let them cool on cooling racks, but be sure to taste a cookie when it’s still warm and the chocolate is especially ooey gooey.
I found the 5-Star Chocolate Chip Cookies in a chapter entitled Wooden Spoon & Bowl. Other chapters include: Rolling Pin, Mixer and No Oven Needed.
There’s also a special section with ingredients, techniques, tools, and substitutions.
It’s a fabulous cookbook with so many wonderful recipes for soon-to-be favorite desserts!
5-STAR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RECIPE
Pin this recipe to Pinterest!
5-Star Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ⅓ cups chopped bittersweet chocolate (14 ounces) I use Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking bars but any GOOD quality bittersweet chocolate bar will do.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with a wooden spoon until soft and light in color. Slowly mix the eggs one by one into the butter-sugar mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the chopped chocolate. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out big, heaping tablespoons of the dough, roll them into balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Leave some space between the cookies, as they'll spread during baking.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Be careful not to overbake; you want the cookies soft in the center and chewy on the outside. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool. These cookies are best enjoyed straight out of the oven, but if you have leftovers, store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Be sure to get your copy of BIGGER BOLDER BAKING: A Fearless Approach to Baking Anytime, Anywhere. It’s on sale now and I highly recommend it!