A cinnamon and honey-sweetened yogurt dressing gives this apple yogurt salad a uniquely light and tangy taste.
INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE YOGURT SALAD
- plain Greek yogurt
- lemon juice
- lettuce leaves
HOW TO PREPARE WALNUTS FOR DESSERT SALAD
Coarsely chop the walnuts, then spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for about 5-7 minutes until golden and fragrant. There’s a short window between toasted and burned so keep an eye on them.
WHAT OTHER NUTS PAIR WITH APPLES?
Walnuts and apples were made for each other, but if you need a substitute you could use pecans or almonds.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR SALADS?
Any apple that stays nice and crisp will work beautifully. I recommend Gala, Honeycrisp, Cortland and Fuji. Granny Smith could be used as well, but I like how red-skinned apples pop their color a bit more against the lettuce.
SHOULD I PEEL THE APPLES FOR APPLE SALAD?
Nope! The skin not only adds bright color to the salad, but it also keeps the apple slices crisp to the bite.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY YOGURT DRESSING FOR APPLES
In a medium bowl, mix together Greek yogurt, lemon juice, cinnamon and honey. Toss the sliced apples in the dressing to coat completely.
Lay some lettuce leaves across your serving tray to act as a bed for the apples.
Once the apple slices are coated with dressing, spoon them onto the bed of lettuce. Next, sprinkle on the toasted walnuts and serve immediately.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH APPLE YOGURT SALAD
This tangy apple salad is a delicious accompaniment to brunch favorites like this bacon tater tot quiche, riced broccoli, ham and cheese quiche and this loaded breakfast casserole. It also goes well with anything cooked on the grill like this grilled honey mustard chicken or these fiesta burgers.
MORE APPLE RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- Pull-apart Bread
- Apple Scramble
- Caramel Apple Cups
- Slow Cooker Bread Pudding
- Mini Donuts
- Crumb Cake
- Apple Cider Pancakes with Apple Crumble Topping
- Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Skillet
Apple Yogurt Salad
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ⅔ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 large red apples
- lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread walnuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan and toast until golden (about 5-7 minutes). Let cool slightly.
- In large bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, cinnamon and honey. Core, quarter and thinly slice apples. Add to dressing, mixing gently to coat.
- Line salad plates or a large platter with leaf lettuce. Mound apple slices over lettuce, spooning any remaining dressing over apples. Sprinkle with roasted walnuts. Serve immediately.