These loaded mashed potatoes are soft, creamy, homemade mashed potatoes with bacon, cheese and chives. Yummy!
True comfort food and the ultimate side dish, devoured and loved by everyone.
Loaded mash potatoes go perfectly with meat and vegetable dinners like grilled honey mustard chicken, fiesta burgers and these delicious grilled ribeyes with beer and brown sugar marinade. And they’re awesome served with a side of grilled green beans. Heck, they go with just about anything!
Ingredients for loaded mashed potatoes recipe
- large russet potatoes
- sour cream
- shredded Mexican cheese
- cooked bacon
Ingredient substitutions and variations
For a different flavor, try sharp cheddar cheese, pepper Jack or a mixture.
Out of bacon? In a pinch, you can use real bacon bits or even imitation bacon bits.
Add chopped green onions.
How to make loaded mashed potatoes
1. Wash and peel the potatoes. Ugh.
Peeling anything is a huge pain, as far as I’m concerned, but if you have a good peeler, it can take some of the toil out of it. My guy likes this peeler but I’m really, really liking this peeler now. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and the shape doesn’t hurt my hand nearly as much.
Step 2: Cut the potatoes into evenly sized chunks (about 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch) then place in stockpot. Fill with water to about an inch above the potatoes.
Bring to a boil and continue boiling until potatoes are tender (about 10 more minutes). Drain potatoes.
Step 3: Immediately after draining, place potatoes in mixing bowl and beat until soft and creamy. Add sour cream, butter, cheese, bacon and chives and continue beating until potatoes are whipped and creamy and ingredients are evenly incorporated.
If the potatoes are too thick, add a little milk. I almost always add some (about 1/4 cup or so), but everyone likes their mashed potatoes a little bit different so adjust accordingly. Salt and pepper to taste.
Other potato recipes you’ll love:
- Slow cooker cheesy potato soup with bacon
- Roasted carrots, potatoes and green beans
- Upside down chicken kiev loaded sweet potatoes
- Betty Crocker au gratin potatoes and sausage
- Loaded potato pinwheels
- Steak and potato foil packets
- Tex-Mex stuffed sweet potatoes
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 4 large russet potatoes (about 2 1/2 - 3 lbs total)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- milk, as needed (adjust according to taste)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes; chop into 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch chunks. Place in stockpot and fill with water about an inch above potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and continue boiling until potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 min.
- Drain potatoes; place in mixing bowl. Beat until fluffy. Add butter, sour cream, Mexican cheese, chives and bacon. Beat until incorporated and potatoes are fluffy. Check for desired texture. For creamier potatoes, beat in a little milk. (I added 1/4 cup.)