You’re going to love these easy Tex-Mex stuffed sweet potatoes!
Even though I don’t live in the Midwest anymore, the winter is still pretty tough for me to get through. It gets dark sooo early, there aren’t many sunshine-y days, and I just feel like hibernating.
Lately, all I’ve wanted to do is stay inside and watch Netflix…so that’s exactly what I’ve been doing.
And I’ve been coming up with some warm and comforting recipes to complement my hibernation – this recipe for Tex-Mex stuffed sweet potatoes being one of them!
Ingredients for Tex Mex potatoes
All you need are a few ingredients that you might already have in your pantry!
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- kosher (or sea) salt
- ground black pepper
- ground beef
- cooked rice
- diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Mexican cheese
- taco mix (or cumin and chili powder)
How to make Tex-Mex stuffed sweet potatoes
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prick each sweet potato several times on each side with a fork to allow steam to escape while cooking.
Rub each sweet potato with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Lay the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet lined with either parchment paper or foil. Bake for 1 hour.
Step 2: While the sweet potatoes are baking…
In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the ground beef until cooked, crumbling it into pieces. Add the taco mix and water (as directed on package). Let simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens a bit.
Step 3: Stir in pre-cooked rice and diced tomatoes with chiles. Remove from heat and mix in cheese.
Step 4: Once the potatoes are ready, split them open lengthwise.
Step 5: Spoon the ground beef mixture into the potato, sprinkle a little more cheese on top, add some chopped cilantro and you’re ready to eat.
If you want a full taco experience, you can also top them with sour cream (or greek yogurt for a low-fat option) and salsa!
Tex-Mex stuffed sweet potato recipe variations
Instead of taco mix, you can use 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1 teaspoon of chili powder for flavor. I personally like using taco mix (the spicy one!)
Try it with regular potatoes too. I have a picky eater at my house so I always make his with a regular russet potato.
These Tex-Mex stuffed sweet potatoes make a complete meal and it’s sure to become a favorite!
Other potato recipes you’ll love
- Roasted carrots, potatoes and green beans
- Cheesy potato and bacon soup
- Upside down chicken kiev loaded sweet potatoes
- Betty Crocker au gratin potatoes and sausage casserole
- Crockpot beef stew
- Loaded breakfast casserole
- Mashed potato pinwheels
- Stuffed breakfast baked potatoes
Easy Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 cups white rice cooked
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 pkg taco mix
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prick sweet potatoes several times with fork on each side. Lay on foil-lined or parchment paper-lined baking sheet with rim. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper, rubbing the oil and seasonings over the entire potato.
- Bake potatoes for 1 hour. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium-high heat, brown ground beef. Season with taco mix, prepared as directed. Let simmer 5 minute until sauce slightly thickens.
- Add rice and diced tomatoes. Thoroughly combine.
- Turn the heat off and stir in cheese.
- Plate your sweet potatoes and cut them open lengthwise. Spoon the beef mixture into the sweet potatoes and top with another sprinkle of shredded cheese.