I’m obsessed with grilled green beans! We cook burgers on our charcoal grill pretty much every week (all year long) and I nearly always cook green beans on the grill to go with them. They’re so easy to make and can be seasoned beautifully with just a few ingredients.
How to Grill Green Beans
Rinse and trim:
Use a colander to rinse the beans thoroughly and then cut or snap off the tough, fibrous ends. I prefer to snap the ends because the sound is super satisfying to me for some reason. I would happily sit on the porch for hours snapping green beans; I kinda love it.
You’ll probably notice restaurants often only remove the stem end, and if your beans aren’t stringy, that’s totally an option. I personally prefer to remove both ends.
Season and marinate:
Put the beans in a bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, cracked black pepper and flaked sea salt. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour.
Use a grill basket to grill the green beans:
Because green beans would easily fall through the grates, you’ll need a grilling basket or pan.
I have this grilling basket and love it! Even though I cook over charcoal and flames lick the bottom of it, you’d never know. It’s a beast.
Set the grill basket on the grill and add the green beans. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly. They’ll retain some crispness when cooked on the grill and they’ll pick up a nice charcoal smokiness.
How to steam green beans on the grill in a foil pack
Season the green beans as desired, then place inside two layers of aluminum foil creating a pouch. Let marinate in fridge for at least an hour, then place the foil pouch on a preheated grill and cook for about 15 minutes, or until green beans are tender-crisp.
- Garlic herb seasoning
- Garlic and lemon
- Balsamic vinegar
- Add chopped onions
- Add tomatoes
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese before serving
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Wrap green beans in bacon
- Cajun seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Chili powder
- Basil (in the last few minutes of cooking)
- Sesame seeds
- Italian seasoning
Other vegetable side dish recipes you’ll love:
- Roasted carrots, potatoes and green beans
- Parmesan roasted baby potatoes
- Apricot-glazed carrots
- Loaded mashed potatoes
- Broccoli cheese casserole
- Crunchy sweet potato fries with harissa aioli
- Roasted butternut squash and apples
- Easy country-style lima beans
- Okra casserole
Grilled Green Beans
- 1 ½ lbs green beans (about 3 cups green beans)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt kosher or regular sea salt work too
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- Use a colander to rinse the beans thoroughly and then cut or snap off the tough, fibrous ends.
- Put the beans in a bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, cracked black pepper and flaked sea salt. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Add the green beans to a grilling basket and place on a pre-heated grill. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.