Working out while traveling is totally necessary for me. My neck and back get achy and tense from sitting on a plane or in a car for too long, and eating at restaurants for every meal isn’t always great for my diet. Getting some exercise in helps work out the kinks and balance some of my caloric sins. Plus, I just enjoy it. It’s fun and it helps me de-stress.
I was in Baton Rouge this past weekend and took advantage of my hotel’s tiny fitness center to get a hotel gym workout in. In my experience, most hotel fitness centers, even rinky-dink ones like the one I was using, have a multi-use cable machine and cardio equipment. So that’s all you’ll need for this workout!
Hotel Gym Workout (now with bigger gifs!)
5 strength exercises + 3 short treadmill sprints
Warmup: Treadmill jog or elliptical for 5 minutes
Exercise 1: Tricep pushdowns (5 sets of 10)
- Adjust the machine so the pulley is at the top.
- Pull the cable down so that your forearms are parallel to the ground. Your elbow is the only joint that should move during this exercise.
- Once you have completed all 4 sets of 10, adjust the machine so the pulley is at the bottom.
Exercise 2: Resistance cable squats (5 sets of 15)
- Step back 2-3 feet from the machine. Lean back slightly to create tension in the cable.
- Squat with feet slightly wider than shoulder width.
Exercise 3: Treadmill sprint at 0.5 incline for 60 seconds
Exercise 4: Cable bicep curls (5 sets of 10)
- With feet planted shoulder width apart, perform bicep curls.
- Your elbow is the only joint that should be moving.
- Protect your joints by not straightening your arms all the way at the bottom of the movement. There should always be tension in your biceps.
Exercise 4: Cable stiff legged deadlifts (5 sets of 15)
- Step back 2-3 feet from the machine. Plant feet shoulder width apart.
- Lean forward with back straight and knees slightly bent, then squeeze glutes and hamstrings to bring yourself back up. Maintain a neutral spine (don’t look forward like I am in the gif – look toward the pulley).
Exercise 5: Treadmill sprint at 0.5 incline for 60 seconds
Exercise 6: Cable front raise (5 sets of 15)
- With an overhand grip, pull the bar up to chest height.
Exercise 7: Your final treadmill sprint at 0.5 incline for 90 seconds!
Try this hotel gym workout on your next journey! Hope you love it.