What could be more festive for a holiday gathering than a snowman cheese ball?
I’ve seen snowman cheese balls that lie down (and I even featured one in this holiday recipe round-up) but I wanted to make mine stand up.
HOW TO MAKE A CHEESE BALL SNOWMAN
Mix together softened cream cheese and room temperature sharp Cheddar cheese until thoroughly blended.
Add seasonings and mix until evenly blended. Divide cheese mixture into thirds, combining two of the thirds together. The small amount will make the head and the larger 2/3 will be the body.
Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour until the mixture can be shaped.
Remove from refrigerator and shape into round balls, stacking the smaller one on top of the big one.
Tip: Wait until just before serving to add the whipped cream cheese layer and decorations.
Use a flat spreader to smooth a layer of softened whipped cream cheese over the entire snowman.
HOW TO DECORATE A CHEESE BALL SNOWMAN
Now you can start adding the snowman’s features. I used black peppercorns for the eyes and mouth and a baby carrot for the nose.
You could also use sliced olives, raisins, nuts or cereal. Anything goes.
Then I used a Fruit by The Foot for the scarf and fringed the edges with kitchen shears.
I surrounded him with holiday-shaped pretzels because they’re cute, and I’m a pretzel maniac.
The cheese ball is delicious served with crackers, pretzels and cut-up veggies, so have a variety of options. Be sure to have a couple of cheese knives nearby so people can scoop a dollop of the yummy cheese onto their party plates.
Pin this holiday cheese ball recipe to Pinterest!
SNOWMAN CHEESE BALL
Snowman Cheese Ball
- 3 8-oz pkgs cream cheese softened
- 4 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tub whipped cream cheese
- 1 baby carrot
- Optional: Fruit by the Foot for scarf
- Mix cream cheese and Cheddar cheese together. Add chives, onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley, Worcestershire and red pepper. Divide mixture into thirds, combining two of the thirds together. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least one hour.
- Shape into round balls, placing the smaller ball on top of the larger ball on serving plate. Decorate the snowman's face and body with remaining ingredients.