I originally made these chicken chili with rice bowls as part of a sponsored Food Lion campaign. At the time, they were showcasing weekly “Dish It Up” recipes based on weekly product sales and this recipe was one of the features.
So when I saw this post in my archives, I decided to make the chicken chili and rice again and give the post an update with new photos.
Ingredients for chili with rice
- prepared rice
- olive oil
- chicken breasts
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- zest and juice of one lime
- chili powder
- ground red pepper
- whole kernel corn
- black beans
How to make chicken chili and rice bowls
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and cook chicken about 3 minutes on each side.
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except corn and black beans. Pour over chicken in frying pan and bring mixture to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and let the chicken cook until it’s no longer pink inside (about 10 minutes).
Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board and cut into bite-sized pieces. Let the sauce continue to simmer in the meantime.
Add the chopped chicken back to the sauce and stir in.
Stir in the corn and black beans and let the mixture cook until heated through and slightly thickened.
Serve over prepared rice in bowls.
The recipe is a keeper, believe me. It’s a super flavorful twist on chili and leftovers freeze and reheat well.
Other chili with rice topping suggestions
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheese
- Diced avocado
- Sour cream
- Diced green onions
Other chili recipes you’ll love
Chicken Chili with Rice
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts 1 - 1 1/2 lbs
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper to taste
- 1 15.25 oz can whole kernel corn drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken 3 minutes on each side. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, zest and lime juice, chili powder, cumin and red pepper. Stir. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is no longer pink inside (about 10 minutes).
- Remove chicken breasts to a cutting board, letting sauce continue to simmer on stove another 5 minutes. Chop or shred chicken, return to sauce pan and stir in corn and black beans. Cook until heated through and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve chili over rice.