Christmas crinkle cookies with their bright red and green colors are such festive, cheery holiday treats. They certainly stand out on a cookie platter and their soft and chewy texture makes them a huge favorite every year. Your family and friends will love them!
Try this festive Christmas Tree Cake Dip too!
Ingredients for Christmas Crinkles
Scroll down for the printable recipe card with exact measurements and directions.
- white cake mix
- vegetable oil
- powdered sugar
- red and green food coloring gel
How to make Christmas Crinkle Cookies
In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, eggs and oil until combined. The dough will be soft and smooshy. Separate the dough in half and place in two small bowls. Mix in some food coloring gel with a spoon until the color is uniform. Add more color if you want a deeper intensity.
Use a cookie scoop (I recommend either a 1 tablespoon scoop or 1.5 tablespoon scoop.) Just make sure all the cookies are the same size on the cookie sheet to ensure even baking.
Bake about 10 minutes or until puffy with crackled tops. Gently remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Cookie scoop set, Ice Cream Scoop set,18/8 Stainless SteelSilicone Baking Mats – Non Stick Sheet Mat – Large BPA Free Professional Grade Liner Sheets – Perfect Bakeware for Making Cookies Macarons, Bread and Pastry (4)AmeriColor Basic Six Kit Soft Gel Paste Food Color, 0.75 Ounce, 6 Pack KitReynolds Kitchens Unbleached Parchment Paper Roll, 45 Square FeetAnolon 47487 Eminence Nonstick Bakeware, Nonstick Cookie Sheet / Baking Sheet – 11 Inch x 17 Inch, Onyx/Black/Umber
Questions you may have about Christmas Crinkle Cookies
Can I use any brand of cake mix?
Absolutely! Use your favorite brand or use what’s on sale. Just make sure it’s a full-size 15.25 oz box (not one of the mini cake mixes).
Do I need to chill the dough before baking?
Nope. They’ll bake up beautifully right away. No need to chill the dough.
What kind of food coloring should I use?
I prefer gel food coloring rather than traditional food coloring because it’s more concentrated and not as liquidy so it tends to create more vibrant hues and doesn’t add runniness to recipes.
What size cookie dough balls should I make?
I recommend either a tablespoon scoop or 1 1/2-tablespoon scoop. I use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop for this recipe and it yields about 16 cookies. A smaller scoop will yield a few more cookies.
Do I need to sift the powdered sugar?
Not at all! But, if you want to, go right ahead.
How thick should the powdered sugar coating be?
Cover the dough balls generously and you’ll be rewarded with a wonderful color contrast when the Christmas crinkle cookies crack on top.
How to store Christmas crinkle cookies
Store in an airtight container for 4-5 days at room temperature or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight.
Other Christmas cookies you’ll love
- Polar bear cookies
- Stained glass cookies
- Lump of coal cookies
- Salted caramel thumbprint cookies
- Caramel candy bar cookies
- Marbled star cookies
- Christmas Rice Krispies Treats gifts
- Snowball cookies
- Chocolate pecan cookie crisps
- Pecan pie bars
- Chocolate dipped orange pecan logs
- Peppermint Oreo balls
- Chocolate chunk cookie bark
- Stained glass candy
- Old-fashioned cornflake candy
- Christmas cornflake wreaths
Christmas Crinkle Cookies
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- red and green food coloring gel
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place powdered sugar into a bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil until it forms a dough. Divide dough in half in two separate small bowls and color each half with either red or green by working the food gel paste into the dough until color is uniform.
- Use a cookie scoop to measure equal-sized scoops of dough and roll into balls. You can make them either one tablespoon or two tablespoon-sized but be consistent. Roll the dough balls in powdered sugar to coat and place two inches apart on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake 9-12 minutes or until puffy and tops have crackled. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.