Sponsored content. Opinions and recipe are my own.
If this Bacon Apple Grilled Cheese doesn’t make you drool, I don’t know what will. This modern take on the classic grilled cheese sandwich combines crisp bacon and sweet apple butter, nestled between slices of crispy, golden, buttery artisan bread and layers of gooey melted cheese. It’s a delicious balance of savory and sweet that will satisfy ALL your cravings.
Check out my other grilled cheese sandwiches too!
- Blueberry Brie Grilled Cheese Paninis
- Pumpkin Grilled Cheese Paninis
- Strawberry Grilled Cheese Paninis
- Grilled Cheese Patty Melt with French Fried Onions
- Grilled Cheese Panini with Fig and Prosciutto
Why We Love This Recipe
- Sweet and savory – Combining savory bacon, sweet apple butter, and melted cheese creates a delightful flavor balance.
- The contrasting textures of the crispy bacon, smooth apple butter, gooey cheese, and buttery grilled bread are so satisfying!
- Quick and easy – Perfect for any skill level.
- Crowd-pleaser – Bacon Apple Grilled Cheese is likely to be a hit at gatherings and events due to its appealing presentation and universal yumminess.
- Artisan bread – A GREAT bread makes a GREAT grilled cheese, so I always use a loaf of artisan bread to make it. In this case, I used my Wildgrain Slow-Fermented 3-Seed Bread, but any of their bread loaves would be delicious! (See tips below.)
- Apple butter or apple jam – I love it with both, but sometimes apple jam has tender pieces of apple in it and wow, that’s good.
- Cheese – Use one or two of your favorite melting cheeses. I love to pair creamy mozzarella with nutty Gruyere, but cheddar, Brie, or pepper-jack would be yummy as well.
- Bacon – Crispy, thick-cut bacon is the most satisfying!
- Butter spread – Use for the outside to get that crispy, buttery golden brown crunch.
Tip: I use the bread I get with my Wildgrain box – the bread/bakery/pasta subscription box I keep raving about! It’s a must-have this summer! I LOVE Wildgrain!
You can customize your box with a combination of bread, baked goods and pasta or choose ALL bread, ALL pasta, or ALL bakery treats! I change mine every month based on my mood and what I think I’ll be cooking the next month. I’ve been subscribing to Wildgrain for a year now!
Wildgrain Box Discount Code
Get free croissants for the life of your subscription when you shop through this link
Substitution Tips and Ideas
- Bread: Try different artisan breads including sourdough, whole grain, traditional white or any of the fun Wildgrain bread varieties like the slow-fermented 3-seed bread I use. I love the texture it gives to the sandwich exterior. ( Order your first box!)
- Cheese: While the recipe calls for a blend of cheeses, you can experiment with other varieties like Swiss, Gouda, Brie, Mozzarella, or even a spicy Pepper Jack for a different flavor profile.
- Bacon Alternative: For vegetarians or those looking for a healthier alternative, you could replace the bacon with thinly sliced tempeh, tofu, or even strips of marinated portobello mushrooms.
- Apple Butter: Feel free to use your preferred apple butter or apple jam. I love a chunky texture with thin slices or chunks of apple!
- Sweetness: If you’re looking for a milder sweetness, you can reduce the amount of apple butter/jam.
- Spreads: Enhance the sandwich with spreads like whole grain mustard, honey, or fig jam to complement the flavors.
- Greens: Add a layer of fresh arugula, spinach, or even thinly sliced kale for an extra burst of color, texture, and nutrients.
- Herbs: Incorporate fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or basil to add a herbal note to the sandwich.
- Butter Alternative: If you’re looking for a dairy-free option, you can use vegan butter or olive oil to achieve that golden and crispy exterior.
- Nuts: To add crunch and depth of flavor, consider sprinkling chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans between the cheese and apple butter layers.
Step 1: Cut the loaf of artisan bread into slices. You’ll need two slices per sandwich.
Step 2: Butter one side of each slice (two per sandwich) with a spreadable butter.
Step 3: Preheat an electric griddle to 325 °F. Place the bread slices buttered side down on the grill. Add the cheese slices, apple butter (about 2 tablespoons per sandwich) and bacon strips. When the bread turns golden brown, put the sandwich together and heat for a couple more minutes to let cheese finish melting.
Step 4: EAT!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Get free croissants for the life of your subscription when you shop through this link and use Wildgrain coupon code EMM10 at checkout.
Other Recipes Made Using Goodies From My Wildgrain Box
Bacon Apple Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter spread
- 2 tablespoons apple butter or apple jam
- 1 oz Mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz Gruyere cheese
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- Cut the loaf of artisan bread into slices. You'll need two slices per sandwich.
- Butter one side of each slice (two per sandwich) with a spreadable butter.
- Preheat an electric griddle to 325 °F. Place the bread slices buttered side down on the grill. Add the cheese slices, apple butter (about 2 tablespoons per sandwich) and bacon strips. When the bread turns golden brown, put the sandwich together and heat for a couple more minutes to let cheese finish melting.